Tips for Driving Abroad

If you’re leaving Baton Rouge, Louisiana on a European vacation, you should ask yourself one very important question: do you plan on driving while you are across the pond? If so, then you should prepare in a number of different ways to make sure you will be driving legally and protecting yourself, your finances and those traveling with you in the event of an accident.  

First, you should research the driving laws in each country you plan on visiting within Europe itself, or beyond. Every country has their own set of laws about the legal requirements for a foreigner to be allowed to drive in their country. Some nations laws require all foreign drivers to have an International Driving Permit, or IDP, in their possession. This can be purchased for a small fee from the National Auto Club or AAA as long as you are 18 years of age. However, you will want to order this immediately, as it can sometimes take a week or two to be sent to you in Baton Rouge.

Next, having auto insurance for your rental car in the foreign country is also important. This is trickier than you might think as international coverage through your insurance provider in the United States usually isn’t offered, with a few notable exceptions. If you are traveling outside of North America, overseas to places like Europe, coverage must be obtained from an independent company like Cordell Insurance, who serves the greater Baton Rouge, Louisiana area, and specializes in auto insurance plans for those who drive abroad.

You’re traveling to Europe to enjoy yourself and concentrate on new sights and experiences. One thing you shouldn’t be worrying about is driving in this foreign country, which is why having the proper identification and insurance before you leave on this adventure will give you peace of mind.