The first few times you get behind the wheel of your new RV, it will be exciting and a little intimidating. Just a short trip in the Baton Rouge, LA area traffic can be hair-raising. RV’s today come with all the amenities that make it almost as easy to handle as any other vehicle and a comfortable ride. Familiarize yourself with the differences before your first trip.
- Due to the size of many RV’s, it’s vital that you take the time to adjust the seat so you can comfortably reach everything for that long trip. Adjust the mirrors with particular attention to the side mirrors.
- Know the RV’s clearance level so you are aware of heights you need to avoid. Become acquainted with which states require a special oversized load permit if your RV is over the width limit allowed.
- Learning to maneuver your RV will take a little practice. Spend some time in an open space, and if you don’t feel comfortable, you may want to consider an RV driver training course.
- When driving up and down steep hills, learn to use the engine instead of the brakes to help control the vehicle. A general rule: downshift pulling the hill and leave it in the same low gear on the descent to avoid burning up the brakes.
- When driving in traffic, keep in mind the blind spots often are larger, and you need to pay more attention to traffic patterns.
- Driving an RV in severe weather conditions, especially high winds can be dangerous. You may want to stop and wait out the storm until you are a more seasoned driver.
Cordell Insurance provides RV insurance to the Baton Rouge, LA area. Contact a Cordell independent agent today to discuss your RV insurance options.