Getting your home ready for fall is an important process, but it doesn’t have to be difficult. Baton Rouge, Louisiana doesn’t see very low winter temperatures, but there are still steps you need to take to get your home fall-ready.
Check your roof. To get on top of roof problems, you can use binoculars to conduct an inspection from the ground and hire someone to clean your gutters. You can also use a ladder and clean your gutters while inspecting your roof if you prefer to do it yourself.
If you have a fireplace, it needs to be inspected every fall. Creosote buildup can cause a fire hazard, so you will want to check your flue with a flashlight. If you find build up over 1/8 of an inch thick, it’s time to get it cleaned. While you are checking the flue, you should also make sure that there is nothing blocking it near the top. If you have a wood stove, you will need to check your flue in the same manner. You also want to make sure that your damper is working properly, and inspect your fireplace and chimney for any signs of damage.
Check your windows and doors for cracks and drafts. Your windows and doors can let in lots of cold air if they aren’t sealed properly. These gaps can cause a 10% increase in your energy bills. You can hold a candle up to your windows and doors to check for any drafts and conduct a visual inspection. Replacing weatherstripping or caulking the area should prevent any drafts.
While you are getting your home ready for fall, you should also take a look at your home insurance coverage. Cordell Insurance can help you with your insurance needs. Call Cordell Insurance today to make sure your home is fully protected this fall.
Whether you will be away for a few days or a number of weeks, you should get your home prepared before you leave on that much needed vacation. There are a few smart ideas you should follow to avoid any stress during your time away.
Hold newspaper and mail deliveries. Contact your local newspaper company and post office to have those deliveries stopped during your vacation. If mail or papers pile up on your doorstep, thieves may take advantage and realize that there is no one at home.
Have a night timer. Use a timer that will automatically turn your lights on in the evening and then turn them off when you would normally go to bed. This will deter anyone that is lurking in your neighborhood.
Clean the refrigerator. Remove any perishable items that will spoil. Milk, vegetables, and leftovers can be removed and thrown out before you leave. When you return from your vacation, you can relax without having to tackle this situation.
Take care of the laundry. Wash the laundry the day before you leave. It doesn’t take long for mold and mildew to buildup. Wet towels and clothing could become damaged in a short amount of time. If you take a shower the morning you leave, hang the towels and washcloths up to dry.
Don’t forget your plants and pets. Ask a neighbor to water your plants and feed your pets. If you have small reptiles or aquatic animals, such as lizards, fish, or frogs, give your neighbor a strict feeding schedule. For larger animals, select a boarding facility that will care for your creature while you are gone.
In Baton Rouge, Louisiana, the independent agents at Cordell Insurance can offer you advice and information on new and existing home insurance policies.
Packing and unpacking are the worst parts of any move, especially if you have hired movers to actually take your items from one place to another. This is the part that people dread because they do not want to spend a lot of time packing just to have a mess to unpack. However, there are several ways you can make the unpacking part easier. The key is to take some time while you are packing to organize the boxes and make sure you have things where you want them. Use these tips for a better unpacking experience and contact us at Cordell Insurance for all of your homeowners insurance needs.
- Color code all of your boxes based on room. When you are packing up different rooms, use stickers to label where they should go. That way, you can easily unpack each room and have all of the boxes in there as you go. Make sure you know what color goes in what room so that you do not get them all mixed up during the move.
- Label your boxes and keep an inventory. At the same time that you are color coding your boxes, make sure that you are labeling boxes so that you know what is in them. It is also a great idea to keep an inventory so you can find any boxes that you need in no time at all.
- Pack a first night box. It is a nightmare to move everything in and have no idea where your toothbrush is on the first night. Save yourself from this by packing a first night box with all of the essentials you will need. Then you can get some good sleep and start tackling the rest of the home the next day.
When it comes to technology, you don’t get much faster than Baton Rouge, Louisiana. LSU’s Supermike computer was named the top computer cluster in the world in 2001, and is still considered one of the top clusters in the world. Our fiber optic infrastructure has proven fast and reliable for the area. When it comes to technology and Baton Rouge, things can happen in the blink of an eye.
Unfortunately, when it comes to injuries on your property, things can also happen in the blink of an eye. It only takes a second for an accident to result in a personal injury claim. A pizza or package delivery person who stumbles on an uneven concrete path, a neighbor child who falls off your swing set or who cuts themselves on an unseen nail. Personal injury claims can come from a lawn service worker who runs over a rock or breaks an ankle in a hole in your yard. Even inside your house, a guest could slip on a loose area rug. While you can do your best to prevent them, accidents happen and they can happen on your property.
That is where the liability coverage of your homeowners insurance comes into play. Your liability coverage can protect you financially from a personal injury claim. That is, as long as your coverage is sufficient. Personal injury claims can be very expensive. Are you confident you have adequate limits? If not, contact us at David Cordell Insurance. We can quickly give you a homeowners insurance review. What’s more, if you choose, we can search multiple insurance providers to see if there may be better coverage available at a more affordable price. We invite you to visit our website and get a comparative quote on your homeowners or auto insurance.
Things can happen in the blink of an eye. If you live in the 70809 zip code area, make sure you are prepared by contacting David Cordell Insurance.
Spring is here and that means those of us in Louisiana will be getting out more and enjoying the great natural resources around us. It also means we will be busy getting our homes ready for the heat and storms that are sure to follow. If you are a homeowner in the Pelican State, here are five spring maintenance tips for your home.
- We know you rarely look at you roof, but now is the time to give it a good visual inspection. Take a walk around your home looking for loose or missing shingles or uneven places that may indicate a small leak.
- Give your yard a good cleaning by picking up all sticks, stones and other foreign objects it may have collected through the winter. Never mow over sticks as they can become projectiles.
- Check your outdoor air conditioning unit to make sure it is clean and free of obstructions that can inhibit airflow into the unit.
- Check your home’s foundation. Look for cracks in the cinder blocks or bricks. Make sure your porch isn’t sinking. If your windows and doors start becoming difficult to open and close that could be a sign of a foundation problem.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts. Yes, we know it is a nasty task but clean gutters and downspouts protect your roof, eaves, and foundation. Make sure water is free-flowing.
Spring is also the perfect time to check on your homeowners insurance with a review from David Cordell Insurance. We are an independent agency that can make sure you have the coverage you believe you have. We can also get quotes from multiple companies to ensure you are getting the best rate without cutting corners on your coverage. Visit our website for an online quote on your homeowners or auto insurance. By answering just a few questions, you can be on your way to savings. If you have questions, simply contact us at David Cordell Insurance.