The National Flood Insurance Program is the source of flood insurance in the United States. If you have a mortgage and live in a flood zone, you need flood insurance to protect your home.
If you have ever tried to obtain flood insurance from a private insurance company, you know it is difficult and expensive. Many insurance companies don’t offer flood insurance. For aid in Baton Rouge, LA, talk to the team in Cordell Insurance.
What Else to Know
Flood-prone areas are unevenly distributed across the US. Most coastal areas, for instance, are situated in flood-prone areas. Hence, flood insurance in the U.S. is mandatory for any property owner who purchases a home or building in the said areas.
Insurance carriers in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) are also policymakers since it’s a mutual insurance. It provides affordable flood insurance to property owners in flood-prone areas. It was created in the late 1970s after severe floods caused massive damage in a few U.S. cities.
Through the program, the government pays for about 80% of the cost of the coverage, and the policyholder caters for the remaining 20%. The NFIP offers flood coverage to businesses, renters, and property owners. The coverage aids them in recovering faster after floodwaters recede. The NFIP works with flood-prone areas to implement management laws that assist or help in associated consequences.
People living in any of the 23,000 municipalities that are part of the NFIP are eligible for flood insurance. Agents, policyholders, and other service providers can help you navigate the flood insurance procedure before, during, and after a catastrophe.
That’s with the support of a wide variety of books, videos, visuals, and online resources made available by the NFIP. Downloadable digital resources are available, and select print publications can be obtained at no cost upon request. Confer with Cordell Insurance in Baton Rouge, LA for professional assistance!